Effective as of February 1, 2021
We value your privacy.
Table of Contents:
- How We Gather User Information
- How We Use Your User Information
- Sharing of User Information
- Control of Your Information
- Privacy of Children
- Cross Boarder Transfers
- Law Enforcement Requests
- How to Contact Us
As a general reminder, please think carefully before you decide to put anything on the internet. For example, if you voluntarily disclose user information in chat areas or bulletin boards (e.g., comments sections), then that information could be seen and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from others. We are not responsible for the user information you may choose to submit in these public forums. To request removal of your user information from any blog or community forum hosted by Luminous Group, please contact us as outlined in Section 11. In some cases, for legal retention purposes or technical limitations (e.g., the data may not be searchable), we may not be able to remove user information voluntarily disclosed by you in such forums, in which case, we will notify you.
3. HOW WE GATHER USER INFORMATION
We collect user information when you use the Site. Sometimes you may submit it to us yourself, or other times it may be collected automatically. As detailed below, the type of user information collected may vary based on how it was gathered, but may include, among other things, user information that you voluntarily submit (e.g., when setting up an account or submitting a registration or application on the Site), user information automatically collected about your usage of the Site (e.g., the content that you choose to view), and user information that our third-party partners may share with us if such third-party partners have previously received your consent to do so.
Luminous Group may collect user information (including personally identifiable information) that is voluntarily provided by you or with your permission. For example, we may ask you for user information such as your email address, contact information, social media account handles, and/or professional information when you contact us, register to become a member of the Site, or register for a Luminous Group-produced live or recorded event. You may also provide user information to Luminous Group in other contexts, including, for example, on a member profile page upon account creation (for example, if you choose to add content to your profile page, such as photos, videos or other information about you and your interests), to enter into a contest, or participate in a promotion.
In the event you register for something on the Site or one of our co-branded websites, or if you sign-up for a subscription (paid or a free trial), we may request additional user information, such as your physical address, telephone number and credit card information, in order to complete the registration. If you choose to sign-up for a subscription or registration via your social media profile (further information on this below under “Information that We Obtain from Third-party Sources”), we may also receive some limited information about you from that social media provider. Where you sign-up for a subscription or registration on behalf of a friend or colleague, you may provide us with this information on behalf of the recipient.
You always have the option not to provide the information we request. If you choose not to provide the information we request, you can still visit most of the Site, but you may be unable to access certain options and services, such as paid subscription or registration content. In the event that you wish to provide user information to us about a third-party, such your friend or colleague, in connection with a referral, subscription, registration, recommendation, or other purpose, only do so if you have the permission of that third-party. When you register or become a member of the Site or provide information to Luminous Group in any other manner, you agree to provide only true, accurate, current and complete information.
Information that We Collect Automatically
When you visit our Site, we may collect certain user information automatically from your device. In some territories, including California, Nevada, and countries in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and the United Kingdom (the EEA and the United Kingdom, together “Europe“), this information may be considered personal data or personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the user information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect user information about how your device has interacted with our Site, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Site, where they come from, and what content on our Site is of interest to them. We use this information for our business purposes, including internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Site to our visitors. With respect to any content that is subject to a paywall, we also use this information to notify users via a notice on the Site when they have read their quota of “free” content (and would need to purchase a subscription or registration to continue reading or viewing).
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further below.
A cookie is a small data file that is written to your computer’s hard drive by your web browser. A cookie file can contain and/or automatically collect user information, such as a user identification code or IP address, that a website will use to track the pages and number of times you have visited. The data read from these cookies may be linked to your user information, so our use of these cookies may allow us to better understand how you use our Site.
- providing you with tailored content ,
- enabling social media features,
- safeguarding against spam and malware,
- analyzing trends, traffic, and user behavior,
- administering the Site, including triggering paywalls for certain content as appropriate,
- gathering demographic information about our user base as a whole,
- tracking web and advertising analytics throughout the Site and its affiliate websites,
- remembering your preferences and voluntarily-submitted information (e.g. custom video playlists, preferences, job title, story ratings, membership status),
- participating in market research (e.g., Site ratings), and
- educating ourselves about how we can continue to improve the Site and its various elements.
Cookies fall into the subcategories below.
- Necessary Cookies. Certain cookies are essential to your secure use and navigation of the Site. Without them, Luminous Group may not be able to provide core Site functions and features to you, and the Site would not operate as well as Luminous Group intends. These cookies collect and use information such as your server preferences, single-session data and corresponding identifiers, web beacons and log files (detailed below), and other credential-related information.
Preferences and Statistics Cookies. Other cookies may be used to collect and process information about your preferences and similar choices in connection with the Site. Functional cookies include social media cookies, which collect information about your social media usage and other data you may have provided in connection with such usage (if you access the Site through a social media website or mobile application, you may have social media cookies). If you wish to modify or change your social media cookies, please visit and review the settings on your applicable social media account(s) and on your mobile device settings. Functional cookies also include analytics cookies, which provide us with data that allows Luminous Group to better understand its users and improve the Site based on what we have learned from that data.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but generally allow users to modify their browser settings to display a warning before accepting a cookie, to accept cookies only from certain websites, and/or to refuse all cookies. Please do review your web browser settings if you want to use your web browser to control our cookies.
We may use web beacons (invisible images often referred to as pixel tags or clear GIFs) on our Site for our business purposes of:
- recognizing users,
- assessing traffic patterns,
- identifying preferred content and measuring site engagement
We may also include web beacons in our email communications, including newsletters, in order to measure engagement with our communications (e.g., to count how many, and when, email communications have been opened, or which links in such communications have been clicked on).
The Site’s web and ad servers log information include but are not limited to a user’s IP address, browser type, and the current URL the user is requesting. This information is always provided by a user’s browser and automatically logged by most websites. These log files are used for our business purpose of internal analysis of traffic patterns within our Site.
Information that We Obtain from Third-party Sources
From time to time, we may collect personal information about you from third-party sources (including data append services such as public or social graph data, or social media websites if you have chosen to log in or connect your social media with our Site) which we will use for our business purposes (for example, in order to better serve you with content or promotions). However, we will only use this information where these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
When you sign into our Site or purchase a paid subscription or registration on our Site using a social media log-in, you give permission to that social media company to share certain information with us.
- Facebook or LinkedIn: If you sign in or purchase a subscription using Facebook or LinkedIn, you give permission to Facebook or LinkedIn (as applicable) to share with us your email address and certain other information contained in your profile on that social media platform (but only if you have made this information public in your corresponding Facebook or LinkedIn profile). This will be limited to your full name, age range, profile picture (if you have one) and link to your Facebook or LinkedIn profile (as applicable).
- Google: If you log-in or purchase a subscription using your Google account, you give Google permission to share personal data with us that you have made public in your Google profile. This will be limited to your full name, your email address (and whether your email has been validated), your age range, your profile picture (if you have one) and a link to your Google profile.
- Apple: If you log-in or purchase a subscription using your Apple ID, you give Apple permission to share your personal data with us (however, you can choose to hide your email address and instead Apple will create a random email address so that your personal email can stay private). This email address will be linked to your account and will be used to allow you to access your subscribed content.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR USER INFORMATION
Our primary goal in collecting, using, and sharing user information is to enhance your experience on the Site, support the Site, and improve its features, performance, and other elements. Your user information may be used for the purposes outlined below.
To Target Content and Advertising
Luminous Group may use your user information for advertising purposes in order to
- Promote our Site or our other products or services, and the products and services of third parties
- Develop and provide content and advertising to you that is targeted to your interests
- Determine which areas of our Site you prefer based upon the frequency of your visits and engagement with those areas
We may make reasonable assumptions based on your browser provided data to target relevant content and advertising to you on our site and elsewhere where we may be acting as a 3rd party. We may also make reasonable geographic and demographic assumptions based on your presented IP address to target relevant content and advertising.
To Provide Interactive Communications from the Site
To enhance your experience, we may provide you with interactive communications, such as notifications of activity by topic or contributor to the email address that you provide to us. Such interactive communications are provided only to those users who have expressly provided us with their permission to receive them as part of their user profile.
From time to time, we may provide emails highlighting new features, promotions, or contests on the Site to those users who have expressly provided us with their permission to send such communications as part of their user profile, or where we are otherwise permitted by law.
5. SHARING OF INFORMATION
You may be requested to voluntarily provide certain user information during your use of the Site. If you choose to do so, that user information may be shared with Luminous Group as well as our business partners, third-party vendors, and service providers (“Third Parties”, “Third Party”) who fulfill our business purposes.
Our Business Purposes
We use Third Parties for a number of business purposes, including but not limited to:
- Provide credit card processing,
- Provide email services and to host services on the Site.
- Conduct contests and surveys
- Log-In and sign-in services
- Provide Social Media Features and Widgets
Credit Card Processing and Email Services: When you sign up for such services, we will share your user information only as necessary for the Third Party to provide that service. Third Parties are prohibited from using your user information for any other purpose. With respect to credit card processing, we do not collect, store, or process any credit card information. If you do not want your information to be shared, you can choose not to allow the transfer of your information by not using that particular service.
If you provide any user information via an advertiser promotion, please be aware you are directly providing your user information to that advertiser. Similarly, we may share certain attendee user information with sponsors of our live events (e.g., attendee name, title, company name), subject to applicable law. If you are a California resident, you may opt out of this activity by contacting us as outlined in Section 11.
Contests and Surveys: From time-to-time we may provide you the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our site. If you participate, we will request certain user information from you, such as your name and email. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. We use this information to notify contest winners and award prizes. We may use a third-party service provider to conduct these surveys or contests; that company will be prohibited from using our users’ user information for any other purpose. We will not share the user information you provide through a contest or survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and choice.
Log-In and Sign-In Services: As noted above, you may be able to log in to our site using sign-in services that bridge your social media login information with the Site. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain user information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign-up form or subscription order. These services give you the option to post information about your activities on the Site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
Aggregate Information with Advertisers
We may use the aggregated information that we gather (as well as aggregated information from third-party market researchers) to describe our services to partners and to assist our advertisers and sponsors to better understand our audience.
If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you targeted ads, you may opt-out or modify your choices as outlined in Section 11. Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive non-targeted ads.
As Necessary to Provide Services to You
We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as handling the processing and delivery of newsletter mailings, processing transactions, or performing statistical analysis of our services. We will only provide those companies the user information they need to deliver the service. In some instances, these companies may collect user information directly from you. In these cases, you will be notified of the involvement of the external service provider. In all cases, these companies are subject to agreements that require them to maintain the confidentiality of your user information and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
In the Event of Sale or Bankruptcy
As Required By Law
Luminous Group may disclose your user information to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third-party where we believe disclosure is necessary: (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation (such as to comply with a subpoena or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the edicts of the law), (ii) to protect your safety or the safety of others, (iii) to investigate fraud or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process served on Luminous Group, or (iv) to protect and defend the rights or property of Luminous Group.
Legal Grounds for Processing and Sharing of User Information
- In general, Luminous Group will process your user information on the legal bases of consent, contract (if you have entered into an agreement with us and such processing is a necessary part thereof), or legal obligation.
- If we ask you to provide user information to comply with a legal requirement or so we can perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of this user information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide this user information).
- Luminous Group may also process certain user information on the basis of the following legitimate interests, provided that such interests are not overridden by your privacy rights and interests: delivering and continuing to develop and improve the Site, learning from your behavior on the Site (e.g., analyzing traffic) to better serve you and other Site users, helping us modify or enhance the Site and its content, receiving insight as to what users do (and don’t) like about our Site or aspects thereof, and providing a stable, consistent, and secure user experience in connection with the Site.
6. CONTROL OF YOUR INFORMATION
You have a variety of choices and rights regarding the use and control of your user information.
- Web Browser Settings: You can control how your browser responds to cookies by adjusting the privacy and security settings of your web browser.
- Web-Based Interest-Based Advertising: You can opt-out of information collected for web-based interest-based advertising (e.g. tailored ads based on activities tracked over time across websites), by those companies that participate in the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance, by visiting the NAI’s opt-out page here or the DAA’s Consumer Choice Page here. For Europe and Swiss residents, please refer to www.youronlinechoices.com. The “opt-out” methods on these industry web portals are typically cookie-based, so if you delete your cookies, change your browser, or update your browser, then you may need to opt-out again.
- Promotional Materials: All users may elect to stop receiving promotional marketing materials (e.g. promotional emails) from Luminous Group or on behalf of external third-party business partners by following instructions at the end of any such email received or sending an email to email@example.com.
To exercise any of the following rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that as legally required we may ask you for additional information to verify your identity and ensure that we are providing access to information about the correct person.
- Access and Portability Requests: Upon request, Luminous Group will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your user information.
- Modification and Correction Requests: You may request to modify and/or correct your personal account or any other user information you may have voluntarily submitted to us (e.g., information that you provide to register for a Luminous Group event) if you wish to do so. Registered users may change the information stored in their member profile such as image, name, password, location, country and the topics and contributors they are following at any time by visiting their member account profile page.
- Deletion Requests: You may request to have user information maintained by Luminous Group deleted subject to the Data Retention section below.
- Opt-Out Requests: You may also ask to opt-out of marketing communications (you can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you). To opt out of other forms of marketing, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you are located in Europe, you may also:
- Request to object to our processing of this information
- Request to restrict our processing of your user information
- Request portability of your user information.
- Request to withdraw your consent at any time if we have collected and processed your user information with your consent. (Please note that withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your user information conducted in relation on lawful processing grounds other than consent.)
- Submit a complaint to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your user information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
If you are a California resident, you are entitled to:
- Request notice of certain information about the user information that we may share with third parties for marketing purposes (e.g., the categories of user information shared, and contact information of applicable third parties)
- Request that we disclose to you what personal information we collect, use, disclose and sell about you
- Request deletion of personal information we collect or maintain about you.
- Request to opt out of the sale of your personal information (as defined by applicable law)
- Not be treated in a discriminatory manner for having exercised your rights regarding your privacy rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please mail your written request to Luminous Group at the physical address below and title your request as follows or in a similar manner: “CCPA – California Resident Request” call us at (866) 868-8627 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada Consumers Only: If you would like to submit a request pursuant to Nevada Senate Bill 220, please contact us as provided below.
To make any request under this section, please email us as outlined below from the email address associated with your account. We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and that we are providing access to information about the correct person. We will do our best to respond to your request within 30 days and, in any event, we will respond within the timescales required by applicable data protection and/or consumer privacy law.
We will retain your user information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you the Site, unless you have revoked your consent or requested to delete certain user information. We may retain certain user information for specific legitimate interests where we have an ongoing business need (for example, relating to core Site functionalities (such as fraud-prevention and account recovery), or to comply with applicable tax, legal or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to use your user information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in back-up archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
We care about the protection of your user information and use appropriate technical and organizational security measures (including industry standard safeguards) to do so. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing of your user information. Of course, it’s important to keep in mind that no data transmission on the Internet is guaranteed to be one hundred percent secure.
Your user information is stored on Luminous Group servers located in the United States. We use industry standard physical, electronic, and organizational safeguards to protect your user information against loss or theft as well as unauthorized access and disclosure to protect your privacy. We treat data as an asset that must be protected against loss and unauthorized access. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access by users inside and outside the company.
We also ensure that, in accordance with good industry practice, we have in place security measures to protect your personal information from interception, including in transit between our different systems and devices. This includes having in place network protection to deny attackers the ability to intercept data and the encryption of your personal information while in transit, to deny attackers the ability to read data.
If you are concerned that your privacy may have been breached, please contact us as outlined in Section 11.
8. PRIVACY OF CHILDREN
The Site is intended for people who are at least 18 years of age. If you are less than 18 years old, do not send any user information to us, including but not limited to information such as your name, address, or email address. We do not knowingly collect (nor do we wish to collect) any user information from children under the age of 18. In the event that we learn we have collected any user information from a child under the age of 18, we will delete that information from our database and terminate the corresponding account, if any. We encourage you to discuss the Site with your parent or guardian.
9. CROSS-BORDER TRANSFERS
Your user information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident in connection with your use of the Site. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country. Specifically, if you access or use the Site outside of the United States, your user information will be transferred to our servers in the United States.
10. LAW ENFORCEMENT REQUESTS
Luminous Group takes the protection of your personal information very seriously, and we are committed to acting as a responsible data custodian.
If we become aware that any law enforcement, regulatory, judicial or governmental authority (“Authority”) wishes to obtain access to, or a copy of, the personal information that we hold about you (whether on a voluntary or mandatory basis) (a “Request”), then we commit to the following:
- (1) We will investigate the Request before responding, to ensure that it is a valid request made under applicable law; and
- (2) We will only disclose personal information to the Authority in response to the Request where we are legally required to do so and in accordance with applicable lawful process.
The only exception to these commitments is where we reasonably believe (in good faith) that the urgent provision of the requested personal information per the Authority’s Request is necessary to prevent an imminent risk of serious harm to any individual or group of individuals. However, in any event, we shall never knowingly disclose personal information in a massive, disproportionate or indiscriminate manner, which goes beyond what is necessary in a democratic society.
11. HOW TO CONTACT US
Please contact us if you have any questions or requests, including:
- If you are an individual in Europe and would like to make a request pursuant to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- If you are a California resident and would like to make a request pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- If you are a Nevada consumer and would like to make a request pursuant to Nevada Senate Bill 220, please contact us
You may use the following methods to contact us
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us at (866) 868-8627
- Send mail to us at 1350 Beverly Road #115 #151, Mclean, VA 22101